Sony: Dreamweaver or deceiver?
|Sony: Dreamweaver or deceiver?|
|Broadcast Date||January 13 2014|
|Hosts||Brian Brushwood, Tom Merritt|
Tom takes Brian and guest Nicole Spagnuolo on a roller coaster ride of emotions as he explains the ins and out of Sony's online TV announcement. Also can Aereo win at the Supreme Court? If they lose it might affect you more directly than if they win. Find out why.
- Nicole Spagnuolo
- Sony Doesn’t Have the Deals It Needs for Web TV — But That’s Not Its Real Problem
- Sony announces cloud-based TV service with live TV, DVR, and video on demand
- Kaz Hirai on Why Sony’s Pay TV Bid Can Succeed Where Intel and Others Stumbled
- WWE launching 24/7 subscription network to bring wrestling to your connected device
- Cable Backlash Against WWE Network Begins
- Aereo vs. TV networks case will be heard by the Supreme Court
- Supreme Court Will Soon Decide the Future of Online Broadcast TV
- SCOTUS Blog
- Aereo Apologizes To Customers Affected By Service Outage During Golden Globes
- Aereo CEO: We'll roll out to five more markets by Q1
- Airtame indiegogo
- Airtame wins at CES
- Tablo starts taking preorders for its DVR for cord cutters, shows off HTML5 app at CES
- Simple.tv shows off cloud DVR at CES, readies expansion to U.K.Channel Master is developing a whole-home DVR solution for cord cutters
- Four great cord-cutter Devices out of CES
- Airtame - HDMI Dongle, Win, OS X, Linux, can beam 1 PC to multiple accounts (Still in Indiegogo but met goal - won Best Startuo of CES category award from Engadget)
- Tablo - Taking pre-orders and hoping to ship in February. record 4 shows OTA stream to mobile.
- Simple.TV - Demoing cloud DVR at CES. Finds missed recording on other services (Netflix Hulu) New device made by SiliconDust sells for $250 w/ 2 tuners
- Channel Master makers of OTA antennas shipping DVR+ ($250 w/ free guide data, ethernet only) this week. At CES announced forthcoming companion device to make DVR+ into whole home DVR.
- Hulu's original TV shows for 2014 are a mix of new series, new seasons and foreign transplants
- Game of Thrones Season 4 trailer released
- Netflix snags first Golden Globe win as Robin Wright is crowned Best Actress for House of Cards
- Fox: We're ditching pilot season
- Watch this: 'From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series' trailer expands cult classic for TV
- Digital movie sales climb 47 percent in 2013
- Amazon & CBS Tie Up Again On New Series “Extant,” After Earlier Collaboration Became Prime Instant Video’s Most-Watched Show
- Yahoo Is Working With Samsung On A Plan To Save — Or Kill — Television
2013 Winter Movie Draft
- Fr. Robert Ballecer: $599,679,357
- Justin Robert Young: $526,820,937
- Casey McKinnon: $506,462,602
- Jeff Cannata: $420,370,709
- Tom Merritt: $317,689,929
- Brian Brushwood: $226,142,950
On Our Radar
- Archer' Is No Longer About Spies Because the Writers Got 'Bored'
- Netflix orders up third season of 'Lilyhammer'
- Don't Trust Andrew Mayne
- Tom: Her, American Hustle, Downton Abbey, NFL playoffs and Golden Globes OTA
- Brian: Finished Archer season 4, Sherlock series 3 episode 2
- Nicole Spagnuolo: Season 1 of Justified, Anchorman 2, American Horror Story: Coven
Dispatches From The Front
- As fan from the 90s I am not too interested in the current product, but for $9.99, having the pay per view shows and the large library from when I was a religious viewer makes this a viable option and worth the price alone.
- I think the more interesting development though is that the WWE ended up here after they had been trying to pitch this network for years through conventional means. By deciding to go this route in the end, they have become the guinea pigs for a full streaming model, including their original content along with the full library and the live shows.
- I'm rooting for their success as I would love to see more "online networks" if the model starts to take off.
- I am donating to the CordKillers show via Patreon. After you get some money in the coffers do you think there would be a Roku app in the future.
- In the meantime, I have a work around viewers can use to watch the shows on on Roku:
- Just install the hidden Roku Channel and type: ITPC code to add it. That will give you access to all of the audio and video podcasts in iTunes right on the big screen. Of course it will allow you to listen to DTNS as well.
- I wrote a step-by-step “How to” article about it if you’re interested, or want to share it with your fan base.
- Hope this helps. And as always, love everything you’re doing!
- Brian Burgess
- Editor in Chief - groovyPost.com
- Hey guys, loving the show so far. I've been trying to cut the cord for a year now, but haven't been able to fully pull the trigger yet. My only available internet is Verizon FIOS. With their currently price plans, Internet is just about the same price as their Internet and TV bundles, so its hard to justify the jump. I've already switched to a TiVo with a CableCard over renting Verizon's set top box, so I think when everything is all said and done, I'd only save about $10 more.
- Any advice to making the jump in this situation?
| Preceded by:
"Distributors gotta distribute"
| Sony: Dreamweaver or deceiver?
|| Followed by:|
"We got them HBO Go Passwords here"