4K getting more OK
|4K getting more OK|
|Broadcast Date||December 23, 2013|
|Hosts||Brian Brushwood, Tom Merritt|
|Guests||Justin Robert Young|
Tom and Brian kick off the very first Cordkillers with special guest Justin Robert Young. Netflix is leading the charge for 4K, Hulu has millions but is it enough, and why Atari's famous ET game failure could help Xbox.
The Big Story
Another Big Story
- Hulu Plus passes 5 million subscribers, plans to double its original content
- Hulu must face privacy lawsuit, U.S. judge rules
- Simple.tv, the DVR for cord cutters, releases its Android app
- Simple.tv is bringing its DVR for cord cutters to Ouy
- AllCast now open to all for streaming local movies, photos from Android
- Stevie now turns any Twitter topic into a social TV channel
- Viki Strikes Deal With Baidu to Bring Crowd-Translated Programming to China
- Now TV app brings Sky Sports to Apple TV in the UK
- ‘Ripper Street’ May Return with Funding from Amazon’s LoveFilm
- Wuaki.tv hits 1m users for its on-demand movie and TV streaming service, 125k from the UK alone
What We're Watching
- Tom: Orange is the New Black (episode 8), Father Ted
- Brian:Interview with Mike Rowe at Reason.tv
- Justin: Bo Burnham's "what."
2013 Winter Movie Draft
- Justin - $483,480,275
- Fr. Robert - $392,813,988
- Casey - $390,058,157
- Jeff - $265,369,223
- Tom - $182,530,164
- Brian - $119,438,873
Premiering This Week
Gentlemen, in your honor, my wife, Wendy, and I cut the cord with Verizon today. We cancelled our Cable TV, but kept our FiOS internet service, so we still have one cord, but it's the good one. And Verizon said we're "welcome" to keep 13 local TV channels for free. Ha, I guess we don't get to keep the UHF channels. :-)
Now we're saving $70 a month. Oops, just found out that we're only saving $65 a month, because, "dear valued customer," it's actually $5 more per month than they said. Oh, and we also have to pay an additional $10 to return our DVR. (I feel like I just made a deal with some guy on Canal Street.)
We will continue to feast from our AppleTV, where we watch Netflix and iTunes... and podcasts, podcasts, podcasts. So we're ready for your next show!
Happy Holidays to you both. Thanks for all the years of information and inspiration. Excited to see what you guys will do next.
Philip & Wendy
See what you can do when the TV network is NOT in the USA? <sigh> 180 channels, $15/month, 8-day replay period without needing a DVR (they record & store everything), inside home/outside home, looks great if you were an international sports/soccer fan.
$5 contributors were listed
- This is the first episode of Cordkillers. It was recorded one week after the final episode of Frame Rate and following the exact same format with the same segment names. This apparently did not please Leo, who (on air) accused Tom of "stealing the show".
- Everything that Tom, Brian, and Justin watched this week was online-only content.
| Preceded by:
"The Final Frame"
| 4K getting more OK
|| Followed by:|