And we get five bucks
|And we get five bucks|
|Broadcast Date||April 21 2014|
|Hosts||Brian Brushwood, Tom Merritt|
Why Netflix price rise is good news this time and odds on an Aereo victory.
- Netflix Beats Expectations With 4M New Subscribers, Earnings Of 86 Cents Per Share
- Netflix will raise streaming prices for new members this quarter
- Watch this: 'Orange is the New Black' Season 2 trailer
- We Know When Hemlock Grove Is Coming Back To Bite Us
- After settling with Comcast, Netflix takes on AT&T in peering fight
- Netflix officially comes out against the Comcast-TWC merger
- Netflix plans to launch on U.S. cable boxes this quarter
- Netflix beat analyst expectations for Q1 86 cents per share $1.27 billion revenue
- January through March, Netflix gained 2.25 million domestic subscribers, bringing the total to 35.7 million
- Internationally Netflix added 1.75 million subscribers (25% streaming revenues) Total of 48.35 million worldwide
- Second season of successful series Orange Is The New Black June 6, as well as new Hemlock Grove (July 11) and Derek episodes (May 30).
- Will raise pries for new customers by 1 or 2 bucks depending on the country, sometimes this quarter. (Raised prices in Ireland and grandfathered in existing customers for 2 years)
- Called out AT&T in investor letter
- WILL LAUNCH on TiVo (S TIVO set-top boxes leased by operators in the U.S.
- Aereo analysis: Cloud computing at a crossroads
- Why the Aereo Supreme Court case over TV’s future is too tough to call
- Aereo launches spin site for Supreme Court case
- Broadcasters' backup plans for thwarting Aereo include live TV streaming
- Viewers can now watch a real-time feed of A&E and History, via each channel's website and their applications on iOS, but you need a cable subscription.
- Amazon Fire TV extends voice search to Hulu, Crackle, Showtime
- Amazon's Fire TV voice search will support Netflix later this year
- Joss Whedon’s latest production, a film called “In Your Eyes” is available for 72-hour rental on Vimeo for $5. Whedon said, "This is exciting for us because we get to explore yet another new form of distribution. And, we get $5." Whedon wrote the script and Brin Hill directed.
- After surveying more than 24,000 U.S. adults, Experian Marketing Services found that households with a Netflix or Hulu subscription were nearly three times as likely not to have a cable subscription than the average household. In total, 6.5% of the surveyed households did not subscribe to cable in 2013, up from 4.5% in 2010.
- The search already works for Roku’s streaming stick. Other Roku models are expected to snag the upgrade in the following weeks.
- LG released an open source SDk called Connect on Thursday that when implemented in software lets developers send video to LG TVs, Chromecast adapters and Roku streaming boxes. It can support all of the common multiscreen and home media sharing protocols, including Google’s Cast SDK, DLNA and DIAL. LG is going to try to add AirPlay and Samsung TVs to the SDK as well.
- A 25-page-long thread on Apple’s support forum contains complaints from several users of the first generation Apple TV device who can not access the iTunes store to download or stream movies, TV shows or podcasts. Other Internet functions like YouTube seem to work fine. The first gen was sold between 2007 and 2010. -- Newer Apple TVs added three new channels today. Subscribers of DirecTV, Verizon FiOS, and Cablevision Optimum can now access apps for Lifetime, A&E, and The History Channel.
- Previously talkative developers have deleted their work, gone silent, disappeared, or all of the above. One developer who goes by the Reddit name “the_isra17” wrote on Reddit: “All you need to know is that I’m still alive and moved on to others projects. I can’t really tell you anything more than that and I won’t contribute anymore to popcorn-time.”
- BBC Three will make all six episodes of Jonah from Tonga available on iPlayer starting May 2 for 48 hours.
- The shows will broadcast normally on air starting May 8. It’s part of a simulcast with Australian network ABC’s iview service.
2014 Summer Movie Draft
- 1 DTNS: $200,501,510
- 2 GodsMoneybags: $85,931,508
- 3 The Morning Stream: $19,360,863
- 4 Night Attack: $0
- 5 /Film: $0
- 6 Amtrekker: $0
- Brian: Game of Thrones (HBO go), Cosmos (hulu), Regular Show S2 (Netflix), MAD S2 (Netflix)
- Tom: Warehouse 13 (Amazon) , Archer (Vudu), Agents of SHIELD (OTA), The Shield Ep. 8 (Amazon), Orphan Black (iTunes), Cosmos (Fox.com), Game of Thrones (HBO Go), Mad Men (Amazon)
Dispatches From The Front
- Hey Brian and Tom,
- Here’s an article from MarketWatch about live-streaming content and cable cutters. It suggests that the cost of subscribing to live-streaming services could end up costing more than cable, especially when streaming sports are involved. What I found interesting though is the cord cutting calculator web app mentioned in the article. It recommends the best options and monthly savings based on your viewing choices, might be interesting to the cordkillers audience.
- Is there any way you can get rid of the scrolling chatroom on the video podcast? It is really distracting.
- Hi Tom and Brian,
- I really like the show. I've noticed that you talk about TV and movies a lot, but not that much about live sports. Of course there are the big subscription options from MLB, NBA etc, but there are a lot of other free options that I notice not many people know about. In fact, I started a website to help people like me easily see what sports are streaming every day: http://bitwhich.com Please take a look and tell me what you think and keep up the good work on the show!
- Take care,
- Just wanted to say, great job interviewing the Aereo C.E.O. I know you've talked about how if Fox or Cbs pulled their over the air and did it themselves that you'd be fine with that but some of us are in a fairly unique situation where we live close enough to the American border that we can easily pick up all the stations meant for Detroit with an ota antenna. If they went off the airwaves I'm sure you'd be forced to authenticate or at least some kind of region lock where us border living Canadians would be forced to deal with Global TV and CBC... *shudders*
- Dog House Systems Cordkiller box
| Preceded by:
"Tamping the Musket with Chet Kanojia"
| And we get five bucks
|| Followed by:|
"What channel is YouTube on?"