Revision as of 12:46, 2 December 2014 by TheatreMonkey
|Broadcast Date||November 24, 2014|
|Hosts||Brian Brushwood, Tom Merritt|
Dana Brunetti joins us and talks about his cord-cutting experience and whether Nielsen rating Netflix and Amazon is a good idea.
- Flurry does analytics on mobile apps
- US citizens spend more than 10 minutes more a day on mobile devices than watching TV
- 2 hours 48 minutes on TV: 2 hours 57 minutes using mobile
- Combines Flurry analytics with ComScore and US Bureau of Labor Statistics on TV usage.
- Nielsen numbers report a much larger number for time spent on TV: 4 hours 36 mins. a day
- Survey in UK in April by Ofcom what device you would miss most. Older respondents chose TV. 16-34 chose smartphone.
- WSJ says Nielsen will begin tracking non-mobile viewers of subscription online video services like Amazon and Netflix
- Scans audio of the programs to identify shows.
- Important for content producers when striking deals with the services.
- TV viewership down 7% yoy in October 18-49
- 40% of households subscribe to streaming video service.
- Subscribers watch around 20% less TV
- Home - allows profiles/parental controls- Profiles protected with PINs
- Fast user switching
- More fine-grained controls (individual photos w/ parents certain albums with freinds, etc.)
- All Home members get access to PlexPass apps (like Roku)
- Multiuser now available without PlexPass
- New York Post, says Amazon will come out with a free ad-supported version of their streaming video service.
- WSJ reported the same thing in March but Amazon denied it.
- A Star Wars trailer will play before all movies at 30 cinemas in the US starting this Friday.
- Aereo filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on Thursday.
- Its post-bankruptcy plan will need to be approved by a judge and its creditors. Because of copyright lawsuits, the big broadcasters in the US are among the listed creditors.
- It was supposed to come at launch a year ago. Still not on PS4.
- Netflix still dominates with 34.89% of download in primetime. YouTube has 14%. But Amazon Video has jumped to 2.58% from 1.61 a year ago Hulu still at 1.41%
- Netflix is experimenting with mobile-specific content. Bite-sized cutdowns of TV shows to 5 minutes.
- Also Custom-tailored graphics that show different movie art for different users.
- Its first 13-episode season will appear across all Netflix territories in March and Netflix has signed up for a second season. Hulu also announced it picked up Amy Poehler’s “Difficult People.”
- Season 4 will have ten episodes coming to Netflix sometime in 2015 in the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. It was A&E’s highest rated scripted series but the audience was much older than A&E’s other shows.
- Starting this Friday, November 28th, Book 4 of The Legend of Korra will begin to air on Fridays at 9 PM on Nicktoons
- Rachel McAdams and Taylor Kitsch joining the cast of 'True Detective' alongside Vince Vaughan and Colin Farrell
- Brian: High Maintenance, Hunger Games Mockingjay part 1
- Tom: Star Wars Rebels, The Unknown Known, Agents of SHIELD, Arrow, The Flash, American Horror Story (101), The Shield (313), The Walking Dead, Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1, High Maintenance
2014 Winter Movie Draft
- 1. Scott: $256,679,469
- 2. Tom: $121,897,634
- 3. Brian: $57,729,445
- 4. Justin: $29,983,069
- 5. John: $10,950,001
- 6. Brett: $0
Dispatches From The Front
- When you covered the new CBSNews online initiative, I immediately installed the Roku app.
- Content is very traditional TV, but the presentation is pretty painless.
- Gives me a quick way to make sure I didn't miss any stories the masses are talking about.
- There are a couple of small flaws:
- Ads are often much louder than the content
- Ad repeat often (Not too surprising since it's new ad inventory for them to sell.)
- But I deleted my app this morning. [STORY ABOUT HOW HIS ROKU GOT STUCK PLAYING 5 ADS IN A ROW AND HE HAD TO REBOOT]
- I'm a big supporter of ad-supported free media. It drives me crazy when publishers do it so wrong.
- I fear they will count this experiment in online as a failure - not realizing it's the experience, not the format that failed.
- Hey Tom and Brian, Love the Show(tm). Just wanted to let your audience know that the MPAA's new wheretowatch.com website doesn't discriminate between online and offline content. I got super-excited when I searched for "CHiPs" (don't judge me) and saw it was available on Netflix. Well, my joy was quickly dashed when I went to Netflix and saw that it was available only on DVD. So while the MPAA is taking a step in the right direction, so far this site isn't a replacement for canistream.it.
- Keep up the great work,
- Your Boss
- According to wheretowatch.com there are no legit places to watch House of Cards Season 2. No legit places to watch Game of Thrones Season 5.
- I know this is still officially in "beta" but I'm not going to take the effort to come back and check every month until they get this right. This brand is ruined for me.
- While the same actor who plays Spike in Buffy also plays Braniac in Smallville, that actor is James Marsters, not James Marsden. Love the show, but without careful attention to those last names starting with M, I could be confused with Tom.
- In regards to Spoilering Time for Interstellar, Anne Hathaway and Matthew McConaughey are roughly the same age. As they are using the black hole for a gravity assisted slingshot, Hathaway exclaims "you look pretty good for 120 years old" (or something along those lines). I think we are to believe that the time dilation through the black hole is negligible which leaves Anne Hathaway and Matthew McConaughey the same age. Love the show!
- Dog House Systems Cordkiller box
| Preceded by:
| Cultural CliffsNotes
|| Followed by:|
"The Sports is a Lie"