but Cuba is an auto-transcribed closed caption which appears when the "Leo Laporte Blows up at Mike Arrington on the Gillmor Gang" video is played with "Transcribe Audio" turned on. The "but Cuba" caption appears when Leo says, "Fuck you guys!"
Leo had heard the phrase, but did not know the origin. He was fully briefed about the origin of "but Cuba" during The Trials of King Leo and has since begun using the phrase himself.
Because of improvements to the auto-transcription tool, the "but Cuba" caption no longer appears on the original video and instead presents a more accurate transcription. "but Cuba" still remains a popular phrase in Chatrealm.
To turn on captions:
- Start playing the video
- Put the mouse over the triangle on the lower right
- Put the mouse over the triangle next to "CC"
- Select "Transcribe Audio"
- Click "OK"
- But Cuba, the original episode of NSFW in which it appeared.
- Tom Merritt slipped a "but Cuba" into his final episode of Buzz Out Loud.
- The Trials of King Leo, in which the origin of the phrase is explained to Leo Laporte.
- Numerous other NSFW episodes after the "But Cuba" episode.
- Leo takes chat room requests
There have been some variations on the catch phrase:
- "But Cuban Missile Crisis"
- "but humble servants of but Cuba"
The phrase is "but Cuba" and not "butt Cuba". This is what "butt Cuba" would look like: