Tech News Today
|Tech News Today|
|Created by||Tom Merritt|
|Hosted by||Megan Morrone and Jason Howell|
|Opening theme||Dan Lueders|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||1864|
|Runtime||30 to 60 minutes|
|Producer(s)||Megan Morrone and Jason Howell|
|Writer(s)||Megan Morrone and Jason Howell|
|Camera Switcher(s)||Kara Kohl|
|Original Run||June 1, 2010 - September 29, 2017|
Tech News Today is a podcast from the TWiT Network which is broadcast every weekday. The podcast was hosted by Tom Merritt and a rotating cast of co-hosts including Sarah Lane, Iyaz Akhtar, Darren Kitchen, Scott Johnson, Becky Worley, and Dr. Kiki. Jason Howell ran the tricaster during the show (which he currently hosts now), though on rare occasions John Slanina would sub for him.
During Tom's era, each episode would "take you on a fun and friendly ride through the need-to-know tech news highlights of the day." In each episode, they would run down the top tech news stories, mention other headlines in the "news fuse", and take a look at the calendar.
Mike Elgan went on to take over hosting duties of the show on January 2, 2014 from Tom Merritt, whose last show was December 30, 2013. Jason C. Cleanthes ran the tricaster during the show after Jason Howell. Mike Elgan left the show December 7, 2015 to focus on his writing and world travels. His last show, one of several pre-recorded holiday specials, was released December 31, 2015.
Megan Morrone and Jason Howell formally took over hosting duties on January 4, 2016 and brought the original TNT theme music back to the show. Their first guest was Tom Merritt.
The show ended its daily run on September 29, 2017 due to "difficulties of selling ads on a daily podcast". Although it was originally going to be straight-out cancelled, it was saved from this fate when Jason and Megan transformed the show into "Tech News Weekly".
- The first episode was broadcast on Tuesday, June 1, 2010.
- NSFW #25 was essentially a plug for Tech News Today via Robospider Tom.
- As of June 21, 2011, Tom had only missed 14 episodes of Tech News Today.
- Although the album art originally featured a clean shaven Tom, he has had a beard in almost every episode.
- The episode on Friday, February 2, 2011 was sponsored by MailRoute and Tom suggested people look on YouTube for NSFW's ad read which was done in Chatrealm's Choice by Justin Robert Young. Sarah Lane said it was funny.
- NSFW #72 was an homage to Tech News Today and met with high praise from Tom.
- Tech News Today was subject to the eponymous #freeTNT hashtag and its respective bit in NSFW's FreeTNT episode.
- Tom Merritt's last show was December 30, 2013. Tom would go on to host a new daily tech news show podcast called, Daily Tech News Show.
- Tom returned for a guest appearance on January 4, 2016.
Brian and Justin would pop up on Tech News Today from time to time:
- #11 "Huge Space Storm May Kill Us All"
- #66 "Five Times More Awesome" (Justin "hacks" the show)
- #152 "4D Virgin 3D Tablets"
- #189 "Creepy Wink to Block Porn"
- #198 "I Have a Light Leak Problem"
- #199 "Japan Update and IP Rant"
- #247 "Frontierville May Die of Dysentery"
- #427 "You Got A Frand In Me"
- #488 "Proprietary iGoop"
- #536 "Xbox, The Ocho!"
- #564 "Dockpocalypse"
- #597 "Drive-In To Go"
- #632 "The First Second Screen"
- #662 "The Ugly Girl at the Prom"
- #668 "Apple is Roy"
- #749 "Tech Toons Today"
- #758 "Durango Unchained"
- #779 "On Behalf of the Loopers"
- #794 "Post PC World Era"
- #851 "Surface 2 Air"
- #896 "Fight for Your Freedumb"
- #899 "Pupu Platter of Content"